When I started this site in 1997 it was meant to be a way to develop my technical writing business – and it’s worked.
Today I work full-time online helping companies with their marketing, business, and technical documents.
I’m based in Dublin, Ireland and provide services to government agencies, financial institutions, and multi-national companies and, of course, one person businesses. Most of my work is with SMEs.
What do you do?
I help people write, publish, distribute and extend information assets.
What do you *really* do?
I write technical documentation, provide content strategy, and create marketing documents, typically white papers, case studies, and datasheets.
I work in the UK, USA and Asia with small startups, Fortune 500s and everything in between.
Drop me a line if you’d like to talk.
I want you to work for me!
If you’re looking for any work that can be done over the web, drop me a line. I specialize in corporate blogging, web writing, white papers, and technical documentation.
We need a writer! Can you help?
Of course! Let me know what’s involved, a little about the project, your deadlines and the technologies involved. I’ll get back to you for sure.
What writing services do you offer?
High-quality business and technical documentation that meets your objectives, schedule, and budget. Typical writing projects include:
- User guides, online help and API documentation
- RFP and proposal documents
- Planning, designing and implementing documents
- Managing remote tech writing teams, for example, in China or India
Whether you’re looking to outsource your technical documentation, or need support for your Development Department, I can provide the right mix of services to make your projects run that bit smoother.
Why should I use your services?
Is there anything more damaging than finding a typo on an expensive brochure?
My job is to find such slip-ups and ensure that these errors never embarrass you. Did you find the intentional typo on this page? Scroll… it’s near the end. Clue? Think of a phone.
Crisp documentation gives that “finished” look to product or services. Your competitors invest heavily in promoting their products and services. Sharp documents are an inexpensive way to make your presence felt. While no-one intends to write poor manuals, inexperienced writers can sometimes underestimate the scope of knowledge required to design professional documents. That’s where we come in.
Poor quality material can do more damage than having no material at all.
High quality content gives you an extra edge.
Hard-to-use manuals frustrate customers; inaccuracies will reflect poorly on your product, regardless of its technical merit.
What size projects do you work on?
Small jobs, large jobs, no problem.
I can take care of those small projects for you, freeing-up your staff for more critical issues. That means you can meet that deadline just by adding just that extra bit of support when you need it.
We both know that you, the customer, know what works best for you. We can help you create that successful proposal, online help system, marketing white paper, training guide, or user manual. While we will provide guidance when asked, we have no preconceived ideas about your documentation needs. We know that no-one knows your products like you do, and we want to make sure that the documentation matches the product needs.
Why should I hire you?
- Expertise – If you don’t have access to writing expertise in-house, why not partner with someone who can bring their experience to the project. Delegating writing tasks to developers is a quick fix, but not be the most productive and can have damaging effects on the customer’s experience.
- Avoid Interruptions – Programmers don’t like writing; they prefer and should code instead. Customers who read their documentation often end up confused. By hiring us, programmers can focus on where they are most productive; avoid interruptions to schedules, deadlines and productivity.
- Budget – When budgets are tight and you can’t afford to hire full-time writers, you can prepare the first draft internally and then pass it onto us. We’ll sharpen it up, polish the edges and return a professional document that you’ll be proud of.
- Tools – As well as writing the documents, you may need the industry standard tools, for example, Adobe FrameMaker or RoboHelp. We have all these, so you don’t have to spend money on expensive software licenses. We’ve developed technical information for users of varying skill-sets, from novices to subject matter experts. Users of our documentation include CEOs, Finance Directors, Investors, Marketing Executives, engineers, database administrators, network installers, software programmers and end users.
Where we work
We can come to your office for as long as you need us. Or, if you prefer, we can meet with you at your convenience to get the information necessary to do the job, then work in our own offices, freeing up your workspace for other valuable projects.
We are experienced at working completely off site, or travelling to work on site. We do what it takes to get the job done. You can draw expertise from a team of experienced professionals without the overhead of maintaining a permanent writing department. This means we can:
- Instantly put an experienced writer onto your documentation project.
- Save the need to employ, train and manage employees.
- Reduce overhead costs.
- Give you more time to focus on your core competency.
Partnering with us offers substantial benefits for those looking to expand or reduce costs.
What documents do you write?
- Government Proposals I’ve worked for the Irish Government evaluating multi-million Euro tenders from the world largest consultancies.
- EU Tenders I’ve written successful proposals (RFPs) for Irish, UK and EU contracts. Awards ranged from six figures to multi-millions.
- Technical Documents We make complex subjects easy to read. You will receive accurate and professional documents that your clients will appreciate.
- Sales & Marketing I’ve written White Papers for Intel’s Solutions Blueprint program, the European Union and industry publications.
- Content Development A trusted partner you can call when your team is maxed-out. We will work with you during any phase of your publication process.
- Template Design I design templates which contribute to the quality and usability of your documentation and enhance the image of your company.
- Online Help Delivery of cross-browser online Help with the industry standard RoboHelp and RoboHTML toolsets.
- File Conversion I can convert source documents from a broad range of file types into your preferred file formats, e.g. Word documents into PDF.
- Training I can provide training workshops for Business Writing, Proposal Development and tools such as MS Word and Adobe FrameMaker.
Email: ivan <at> ivanwalsh <dot> com
Address: 63 Ripley Hills, Killarney Road, Bray, Co Wicklow, Ireland
Company Number: 418592
Company Name: Klariti Ltd
I’ve provided products and services to some of the largest companies in the world including…
AIG, Bearing Point, Cisco, Coca Cola Corp, Dell, EDS, Ernst & Young, GE, HBO, IBM, Intel, JP Morgan, KLM Airlines, KPMG, Macy’s, McDonalds, Microsoft, Oracle, Price Waterhouse Coopers, Saab, Safeway, Sara Lee, Siemens, TATA, Toyota, Vodaphone, Walmart, and Western Union.